The Vice President, Research & Insights will fill a key leadership role within a dynamic team of data scientists, market researchers, and analysts providing insights to major suppliers in the agricultural industry. This role will direct the Farm Journal Marketing Insights team, and will be responsible for dramatic expansion of the company’s research business, including sales direction and operational leadership.
The successful candidate will demonstrate proven ability to harness and translate strategic insights into actionable marketing plans and communications and create strong cross-functional partnerships with marketing, product, policy and communications. This role will help enable the success of the brand marketing function, help launch compelling new products, optimize marketing performance, refine audience approaches and ultimately create more value for our clients.
The ideal candidate will be a marketing research expert, with exceptional research skills across both qualitative and quantitative methodologies, proven hands-on experience as practitioner and leader, a hunger to drive significant business impact/outcomes, an orientation toward strategic thinking to drive product/brand outcomes, and an interest to remain deeply engaged in the execution of work. Strong time management and communication skills are critical, and a passion for technology is a must. Candidates must be comfortable and effective working with remote teams with a wide range of internal partners: marketing, product, communications, public policy, and user experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
These duties include, but are not limited to, the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Lead our research group, helping to shape Farm Journal’s brand strategy and build reputation and trust for the brand as it continues to grow.
- Partner with marketing, communications, and product organizations to understand consumer needs and product use cases, define brand positioning, develop audiences, inform creative expression, execute go-to-market plans, and optimize/improve marketing communications to achieve business objectives.
- Design and execute comprehensive, best-in-class quant and qual research programs, at both the product and brand level. Leadership in technique and methodology is essential.
- Translate data insights into actions and recommendations.
- Build influence among leadership through highly effective communication, partnership and provocation, ability to engage and influence company-wide decision-making.
- Partner with Data Science teams to develop hypotheses and comprehensive test and measurement plans, to design and execute experiments to achieve client marketing and product development objectives and drive client company effectiveness.
- Operate with maximum efficiency and a keen eye toward improving profitability. Lead and develop a prospering team of researchers, steward growth plans for the organization and current ICs/managers based on business priorities and employee goals.
- Travel domestic and international up to 20% of the time
These qualifications include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Agricultural/Agri-marketing background preferred, but not required.
- 12+ years of experience leading efficient and effective marketing or product research teams, expert knowledge in qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Proven track record managing divisional P&L with progressive improvement in financial performance
- Proven expertise in leading insights-driven marketing campaigns/product launches from definition to execution, driving impact and influencing client decision-making.
- Experience in brand building and brand strategy development
- Ability to interface with creatives and brand marketers to steward successful campaigns from start to finish, thinking holistically/creatively in addition to technically/analytically.
- Desire to engage in research work at a tactical/executional level as well as managing the growth and development of a team.
- Experience problem-solving and quickly moving from blank state to well-defined problem with a suitable methodology.
- Experience to quickly scale and prioritize activities in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Communication and presentation skills with a proven track record of using insights to influence executives and colleagues.
- Experience thriving in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, drive change, and collaborate effectively with a variety of partners.
- High degree of personal and professional ambition