The Software Developer will work closely with Ad Operations, Audience Development,
Broadcast, Business Intelligence, Data Science, Design, Editorial, and Product teams through the
software development life cycle. They will provide sound guidance back to the business and
offer digital solutions rooted in best practices as we transform into a product-driven
organization. This position reports to the Director for Development and Applications.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
These duties include, but are not limited to, the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Analyze requests, make appropriate recommendations, and compile requirements.
- Translate requirements into a design (Visual and Software Architecture).
- Develop Unit, Integration, Functional, Acceptance, and Performance Tests for manual or automated testing.
- Produce clean code adhering to the principles of Object-Oriented Design
- Evolve Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery processes with GitHub Actions.
- Pinpoint software issues, and use deductive reasoning to solve problems.
- Measure completed work and make proper recommendations to further evolve the solution.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation of projects and procedures.
- Periodically supervise outsourced resources, both on and off-shore, when required.
- Track time/costs associated with work.
These qualifications include, but are not limited to, the following:
- 5+ years of experience in general software development.
- 1+ years of experience developing custom Drupal modules and/or WordPress plugins.
- Thorough knowledge of Cloud Service offerings from Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform.
- Competency integrating 3rd Party web services (SOAP, REST API, GraphQL).
- Bonus for Weather and Financial data providers, SMS/MMS, transactional and bulk email.
- Awareness of technical Search Engine Optimization.
- Demonstrable experience as a problem solver and logical thinker.
- Skilled verbal and written communicator to technical and/or non-technical audiences.
- Capable to work within a team, or as an individual often unsupervised.