Farm Journal is hiring a Senior Vice President of Audience Development. This position will partner with site leads to craft initiatives that introduce Farm Journal content to new readers across the globe and build loyalty with its existing audience, and will be responsible for developing and implementing a content distribution strategy that will extend the reach and amplification across search, newsletters, multiple social networks, and more. Using analytics, research, and insights, the SVP will also work with Editorial and Consumer Marketing leads to inform content and subscription strategy across Farm Journal. Finally, this person should also have an eye for revenue, with an understanding of how display, subscription, e-commerce, and partnerships come together to move the business forward. This role will manage the Director of Social Media, the Director of Analytics, and the team’s audience development team members, and will report to the President of Audience for Farm Journal’s brands.
The ideal candidate will be someone who deeply understands the digital media industry, is highly analytical, and is nimble and creative with the ability to incorporate data and testing into the decision-making process. Farm Journal needs people who have an entrepreneurial spirit, an inherent understanding of the web, and an eye for strategy. Curiosity, motivation and rigor are a must, and a love for the brand is of course a big plus.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
These duties include, but are not limited to, the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with executive brand stakeholders including Content, Product, Marketing, and Sales to develop and execute data-driven audience growth plans that are consistent with the brand’s global editorial mission across a variety of platforms and maximize customer monetization.
- Responsible for developing distribution strategies across multiple platforms that amplify and extend the reach of the brand’s content via SEO, newsletters, social, partnerships, and more.
- Define challenging but achievable KPI targets based on input from the Director of Analytics.
- Develop a ROI-based social media strategy for engaging and converting younger subscribers.
- Collaborate with the content leader and senior leaders to support audience development efforts across Farm Journal’s portfolio plus build a cohesive strategy to support goals.
- Develop and oversee newsletter strategy and manage all newsletter products from editorial curation to production, and work with Farm Journal’s content team on testing and optimization on a rolling basis.
- Work closely with the content team to identify new content strategy opportunities, and advise on day-to-day optimizations, such as with headlines for search and social media. Lead periodic workshops on best practices.
- Explore new distribution platforms and, in collaboration with editorial stakeholders, evaluate whether the brand should participate, and communicate best practices for traffic driving and engagement (in conjunction with larger Audience Development, Social Strategy, and Business Development teams).
- Coordinate with digital leadership to determine and meet growth and consumer-driven KPIs and ensure that they align with editorial and revenue strategy.
- Manage overall audience development testing strategy—including consumer funnel optimization, distribution channel mix, and headline and image optimization.
- Expand and enhance strategies to drive readers to subscribe across all channels, and collaborate with the President, Audience to improve subscription platforms and web features.
- Collaborate with edit and commerce stakeholders to grow traffic and engagement for affiliate revenue-driving content.
- Join forces with business and sales teams to package and deliver against sponsorships across distribution channels, including newsletter and social executions.
- Maximize professional knowledge with product teams to enhance the brand’s web offerings, and collaborate with the President, Audience, on projects to increase reader engagement, time spent and loyalty.
- Identify new growth opportunities and best practices based on emerging digital trends, competitive business intelligence, and consumer insight.
- Devote professional knowledge and leadership experience to strengthen the connection with this role, programmatic and data. This role needs to coordinate efforts and align priorities with our data monetization departments by strategically aligning spend with targeted audience growth and acquiring digital registrations with the data necessary to match data currently in our core data.
These qualifications include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Undergraduate degree in a related field (journalism, communications, marketing, analytics, business) required. Graduate degree a plus.
- 10+ years of experience in the media industry, with a thorough understanding of online business models and strategies.
- Experience with registration-based websites, paid newsletters and event marketing.
- Detailed knowledge of major web analytics tools such as Google Analytics, Omniture, Parsely, and/or Chartbeat.
- Experience running tests to optimize marketing and user experience initiatives.
- Solid understanding of social and mobile channels, and deep familiarity with social analytics tools.
- Deep understanding of all audience development channels – SEO, social, newsletter, and partnerships.
- Ability to clearly articulate and present analyses to all levels of management, including c-suite executives and Editorial leadership.
- Entrepreneurial, digitally savvy, with exceptional analytical, quantitative, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills.
- Analytical Thinking: Be able to analyze and explain complex data, and persuasively present findings.
- Industry Knowledge: Have a strong understanding of content, SEO and social media.
- Assertiveness: Be assertive within the team, unflappable under pressure, and have experience of working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams.
- Team Development: Have an outstanding attitude and be a good team player.
- Leadership: Be a self-starter, organized and a good problem-solver, able to eliminate obstacles through creative and adaptive.
- Organizational Knowledge: Demonstrate an understanding of the Farm Journal brands, its competitors and the wider digital and print publishing market.
- Experience with registration-based websites, paid newsletters, and event marketing
Work authorization requirements: Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
Farm Journal is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the team member for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.