The Executive Vice President, Crops is accountable for the Crop Division’s profit and loss performance and establishing and implementing the strategies necessary to create intermediate and long-term value generated by the company’s largest division. The business-to-business (B2B) offerings in the division include a diverse portfolio with digital, data, research, print, television, and radio. This high-visibility position will also be responsible for efforts to identify new external strategic alliances and acquisition opportunities.
This leadership position works closely with the Senior Vice President, Revenue Development, the Enterprise Solutions team, and multiple disciplines within the senior leadership of the company, including the CEO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
These duties include, but are not limited to, the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Strategic Leadership. The EVP will be the Company’s expert in free and paid-content product, marketing and trends in the Crops sector. This individual will bring forward and communicate Crop industry trends, plus show how the Company can adopt/leverage best-practices to exploit opportunities. As the Division’s strategic plan takes shape, the EVP will continue to refocus and refine the strategic direction and underlying initiatives and ensure that internal stakeholders understand and support the Division’s strategic goals and needs.
- Revenue, then Operations. The EVP must be capable and comfortable driving marketing, revenue and production functions, plus balance the work required to compete and aggressively extracting revenue from the existing portfolio – to develop new product revenues – and also explore potential product and marketing/sales strategies that will propel the Division even further forward.
- Finance, Budget and Reporting. The EVP will develop and closely monitor all aspects of Division’s budget and key performance indicators and will utilize dashboards and other reporting systems to monitor attainment to objectives and targets.
- Product Management and Growth. The EVP will ensure the Division’s legacy products continue to have improved function, offer better value to customers, and maintain an efficient cost structure. At the same time, the EVP will need to continue expand the Division’s digital, data, digital and Enterprise Solutions innovation, extensions, and monetization schemes. If not already intimately familiar with the Crops market, the EVP should eagerly and quickly get into the market to diagnose customer needs and pain points, looking for underserved segments and then lead the Division to create solutions that leverage the data, content and production prowess available.
- Talent Development. While not a startup, the Company believes this Division needs to adopt a highly competitive and entrepreneurial tone to grow quickly. The EVP will orchestrate this growth by recruiting high-capacity high-innovation new hires, ensuring their proper on-boarding, plus growing intermediate managers from within whenever possible, and guiding all team members through change and expansion in their roles. The EVP will communicate the strategy to the team, knock down barriers to their success, and empower them to leverage their individual strengths.
These qualifications include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Leadership of a high-growth (20+% CAGR) business or business unit, including P&L responsibility
- Direct revenue management and sales leadership
- Meaningful professional experience in B2B media
- A competitive drive and relentless focus on attaining goals
- Proven track record in creating and managing both innovative advertising-based and paid-business-information revenues
- Proven track record in leadership of face-to-face direct selling, telesales and lead-gen-based targeted direct-marketing
- Meaningful B2B digital and data product sales or product development experience
- Experience penetrating a new market with a disruptive product or service
- Experience in identifying and exploiting new content-product opportunities
- Experience in creative new product development (directly or managed)
- Skilled in both strategic and quantitative business-management
- Leadership success as part of a dynamic senior management team
- Proven ability to identify and nurture talent in others
- Personal and/or professional experience with agriculture preferred