Director, Business Intelligence Technical Services
Farm Journal, the nation’s leading agricultural B2B information and media company, is seeking a Director of Business Intelligence Technical Services to join our growing data development team. This hands-on leadership role will be responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of a productized, large scale data warehouse, the data pipelines leading into it, and the associated internal client dashboards used for reporting and analysis. The successful candidate will be a strong BI engineer/leader that can deliver solutions for data integration and data quality checks (database design, SSIS, ETL design and development).
We reach agribusiness professionals through 44+ million monthly engagements via branded websites, newsletters and phone apps; business magazines; national events and nationally broadcast television and radio programs; and an array of data-driven paid information products. We are using technology to actively shape the agriculture marketplaces of the future.
- Lead a small, hybrid BI development team – maintaining daily BI operations and driving delivery of BI projects via providing technical guidance, solution validation, performance reviews and feedback
- Responsible for designing, building & managing scalable and highly performant data pipelines that cleanse, structure and integrate disparate big data sets into a readable and accessible format for downstream data science, business intelligence, and customer-facing applications.
- Work with the remote/offshore BI developers, product owners, data scientists and various internal data users to understand the business requirements and implement optimal data solutions.
- Use analytical and problem-solving skills to take complex business requests and transform them into clean, simple data solutions.
- Implement/improve version control, deployment strategies, notifications to ensure product quality, agility and recoverability.
Skills Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in an engineering or technical field such as Computer Science, Information Systems, Statistics, Engineering, or similar.
- 5 – 7 years Business Intelligence experience – planning, design, development, deployment, and support of new/existing ETLs and enhancements to existing ETLs – Microsoft SSIS and SQL Server
- Hands-on knowledge in using SQL queries (analytical functions), experience in writing and optimizing highly efficient SQL queries and stored procedures
- Experienced in testing and monitoring data for anomalies and rectifying them.
- Strong communication skills to be able to work with business owners to develop and define key business uses and to build robust, scalable ETL processes that satisfy requirements
- Experience with Data visualization tools such as Tableau
- Experience building and migrating complex ETL processes into Cloud-based data pipelines is a plus
- Experience analyzing, re-architecting and re-platforming on-premise data warehouses to data platforms on AWS cloud using AWS/3rd party services is a plus
WHAT WE OFFER
- Healthy work / life balance
- Daily “mental Break” opportunities with Table Tennis, Jenga and Connect4
- Flexible Work-from-home days each month
- Competitive annual salary
- Paid vacation
- Medical PPO and HSA coverage through BlueCross
- Dental and vision coverage
- Employer paid life and AD&D coverage
- Employer paid short-term and long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending account
- 401k retirement savings plan with employer matching
- Pre-tax transit and parking benefits via direct payroll deduction
- Convenient location in our downtown Chicago office featuring an open and collaborative floor plan, amazing views of the River, and located close to Union Stations, Ogilvie Station and the Brown/Orange/Pink/Purple El stations