The Controller, based out of the Kansas City office, is a member of Farm Journal Senior Management, and is responsible for directing the accounting operations for the Company. The Controller’s responsibilities include management of all phases of the corporate accounting and internal reporting; issuance of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements on a consolidated and business unit level, financial analysis and financial support to the business units, and review and improvement of financial policies, processes, procedures, with heavy emphasis on system integration and automation.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of general ledger, internal controls and reconciliation of accounts inclusive of general and subsidiary ledgers, accounts receivable, revenue distribution, fixed assets, and operating expenses, and insurance records.
- Implement accounting policies, procedures and systems as required, and ensure internal control procedures are adequate, properly documented and regularly reviewed. Manage monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting and preparation of financial statements in compliance with GAAP.
- Manage the creation and distribution of the Company’s financial reporting.
- Manage automation of the Company’s financial systems to foster efficiency and financial reporting improvements.
- Assure corporate income tax compliance to assure the accurate and timely completion of all corporate income tax returns taking full advantage of all favorable tax codes.
- Ensure proper business and operational controls/disciplines are in place, working closely with division Business Managers.
- Analyze monthly financial performance and provide insightful review to senior managers.
- Work closely with auditors in preparation of data and materials for Company annual financial audits.
- Lead liaison for taxes with audit firm.
- Coordinate with the CFO and VP Human Resources for all related personnel expenses
- Work closely with Company’s Business Managers on financial close plus assist with budgets and forecasting
- Develop necessary procedures and provide ongoing oversight to ensure compliance with GAAP and all federal, state and local regulations.
- Attract, develop and retain competent and committed accounting personnel.
- Manage, train and lead the accounting department. Motivate and reinforce teamwork.
- Establish clear performance objectives for the department overall and for each direct report.
- Complete special financial and administrative projects as needed.
- Develop and maintain strong, collaborative relationships with all operational leaders.
- Assist with any merger and acquisition financial analysis, and implementation and integration.
The Controller will be an accomplished accounting professional with proven financial and financial systems skills, solid business acumen and management ability. Additionally, the candidate will possess:
- BS in Accounting or Finance.
- Technically adept in all areas of accounting and financial management, including financial systems, G/L, consolidations, management reporting, taxation, financial analysis and compliance GAAP regulations.
- Strong experience managing and working with major ERP system; experience with Naviga, Planful, and Spotlight systems a plus.
- Strong expertise in financial analysis tools (modeling, charts/graphs, etc.) – expert in Excel.
- Prior experience in both small and large B2B media companies, agency business and exposure to start up and entrepreneurial environments a plus.
- Timeliness, discipline and attention to detail paramount.
- Strong appreciation for procedure, process and operational excellence.
- Prior M&A activity is a plus.
- Experience with developing financial systems and automation
- Experience in a rapidly growing and changing organization.
- Ability to interface and communicate effectively with executive management and all other functions in the Company and externally.
- Ability to keep a number of activities moving forward at the same time.
For more information or questions on any Farm Journal job postings, please contact:
Senior Human Resources Generalist